Which is Better Gantry Crane or Overhead Crane
There will never be a proper answer to this question, while there will always a most suitable crane for you. Read further about this when you come across this puzzle. Due to the cost of the equipment, gantry cranes are usually more expensive than corresponding overhead cranes. While, in some case, gantry crane price is more cost efficient.
· The house is not prepared for the runway structure or the situation is not suitable for building the column of the runway structure. Although the gantry cranes are not the best choice used indoor, sometimes they are the best solutions. It will save you much of your money.
· In the near future, you need to use the crane in another place or you will use the crane in different places. Gantry crane is free standing by itself, there is no need of the runway structure.
· You are in a rent workshop. The building of the overhead crane runway structure is impractical. So the gantry crane may be the only choice for you.
· You need to handling the loads inside and outside of your workshop. The overhead crane is not proper for you especially when the distance outside of your workshop is long.
Overhead cranes are immensely popular for heavy weight lifting and the lower cost gantry cranes are hugely acknowledged. These are considered a substantial alternative to the overhead bridge cranes. These types of cranes are similar to the bridge crane only with a difference that it runs on a track on the floor or ground level not on an elevated runway. The bridge of gantry is sustained by a pair of tough steel legs which are carried by a pair of end trucks along the floor runway. Such cranes are accessible as both indoors and outdoors in spans to 150 feet and capacities to 10 tons.
As gantry cranes are made to ride on the ground, there is no need of runway structure and thus saving on the concrete foundations. The installation procedure for the gantry crane is very simple and swift. On the basis of the environment and application, these cranes can sometimes offer the same material handling potential as a comparable overhead bridge crane system, but with a noteworthy cost savings.
But, in contrast not all gantries will cost less than their counterparts, i.e. bridge cranes. But there are circumstances where these gantry cranes can prove more reasonable and efficient:
1. When the investor is in no mood of putting a major amount in a bridge crane runway structure.
2. When there is requirement for the material handling equipment for the interior and exterior of your building.
3. When there is chance of shifting the workplace and the owner does not want to afford much loss.
Gantry cranes are easily assembled and disassembled, whether mounted or mobile. Gantries are profitably utilized across manifold industries. These Cranes are obtainable in steel, aluminum or a lightweight model along with adaptable heights and spans. Further variations of cranes include: container, overhead, a frame, rubber tire, rolling, semi and rail mounted gantry cranes.
Such type gantries are classified into two categories: manual and motor driven.
• Portable gantry (manual)
• Adjustable gantry (manual)
• Motor driven gantry
Each type has its own benefits which could be easily compared to the benefits offered by the bridge cranes. When we talk about manual gantries as part of your material handling equipment solutions we say that they are lightweight, high expensive with easy of assembling and disassembling. They are said to be more productive and endowed with superlative safety. And in case of motor driven cranes we can eliminate the need of runways and are easily transportable.
Thus we can say that investing in the gantries is not at all a bad deal and thus if the owner does not have much to spend on material handling equipments then these are the best buy for him. Gantry cranes possess all the capabilities and efficiency as enjoyed by the overhead bridge cranes. But before buying gantry one must review his needs and utilization because if in order to see money he invested in gantries and later realizes that his requirement for much bigger cranes like, jib crane then his entire work will be in waste.
As the economy continues to struggle, companies are reluctant to make large investments, especially in the material handling industry. Large permanent lifting solutions are costly, so companies are looking to solve their material lifting needs without making large investments. Gantry cranes are a great alternative to large, permanent systems because gantry cranes offer up to a 15-ton lifting capacity and are completely mobile.
There are several advantages to purchasing a gantry crane:
1. Complete mobility
2. Quick assembly with bolt-together components
4. Easily customized
5. Available power drive kits
Gantry cranes are versatile because they can be used indoors or outdoors in steel or aluminum with adjustable heights, spans, or treads. Adjustable heights, spans, and treads allow loads to fit easily through doorways or around obstacles during transportation. Purchasing a gantry crane can simply be rolled into an employee’s workstation and be lifting in seconds. If the gantry will always follow the same path, fixed-path gantry cranes make moving the crane simple and fast. If space is an issue, a single leg gantry can provide a lifting solution using a wall-mounted I-beam and a single A-frame leg. Different wheel options allow the gantry to have the right wheels for specific applications.
Power drive kits further compliment the versatility of gantry cranes.
Our gantry cranes have three different power drive kits:
1. V-Track Drives: Two motors drive rigid steel V-groove wheels along a fixed path.
2. Guide Angle Drives: Ideal for installations where the gantry runs along a wall, two motors drive polyurethane wheels that are guided on one side by a guide angle. The guide angle bolts to the floor, typically at the base of a wall. The kit includes guide rollers on one drive and one idler assembly, each equipped with polyurethane bumpers.
3. Trackless Drives: Ideal when you need to keep your shop floor clear of any tracks or angle guides, a selector switch on the control pendant selectively turns each motor on and off to move the gantry.
Gantry cranes are typically used in general industry for mechanical contractors, power generation facilities, water treatment plants, HVAC applications, and metal fabricating facilities. However, if you’re looking for mobility and flexible heights, spans, and treads, a gantry crane is what you want. Gantry cranes aren’t the best and most efficient lifting solution for every application, but they are a versatile investment that costs less than a permanent solution. The right investment will go a long way.